International Students at Yorktown Education Adapt Easily to the Culture and the Educational Environment
- December 5, 2017
- Posted by: Yorktown Education Team
- Category: International Student Program
It’s an exciting adventure for Yorktown Education’s International Students to join us on their educational journey. But it can also be challenging to adjust to all the changes. A big part of Yorktown’s commitment is understanding the transitional challenges for international students, no matter what country they call home. Helping them to have a rewarding, gratifying experience, both personally and academically, is key to the success of our program.
International students must deal with different traditions, values and norms in the U.S. that may be very different from those where they live. Adapting to a new environment may come easier for some students than others.
Some students may experience homesickness and tend to avoid social situations. Sometimes lack of sleep can be an issue which can lead to concentration problems and irritability. Yorktown staff and fellow students are attuned to these challenges and strive to make each student feel welcome and included in school and extracurricular activities.
Some of the things we like to encourage international students to help them feel more at ease include the following:
- Be curious and ask questions – Other students, teachers and staff are always ready to help or answer questions. Don’t be shy.
- Observe your environment and others’ behavior. It helps to notice both verbal and nonverbal communication to get a total picture of what’s happening.
- Speak up and make yourself understood. Yorktown welcomes open communication and collaboration, so share your thoughts and ideas openly.
- It’s okay to feel nervous. Everyone has some anxiety in new situations, so give yourself permission to be a little tense. It won’t take long for that to disappear.
- Everyone makes mistakes, so don’t take it too seriously. In fact, have a laugh on yourself and it becomes that much less worrisome.
- Stay healthy and get plenty of sleep. That’s a no-brainer and refers to all students.
- Get support from other international students. Everyone at Yorktown is helpful, but if you feel more comfortable sharing a situation with another international student you may find you both have lots in common.
Most of all, be patient with yourself. Don’t expect to take it all in immediately as you adjust to your new cultural experience. There are so many exciting things to discover and so many amazing people at Yorktown Education, before you realize it, you will feel right at home.