The International Student Program (ISP) provides Yorktown Education the opportunity to welcome international students to be a part of our community.
Yorktown Education is an independent, non-sectarian day school for students age 5 through 18. Our education model is student-centered, which means each individual student progresses according to their own accomplishments. Our culture is built on collaboration and community. We embrace differences locally and globally, with every detail designed to teach students to discover and Do What They Love.
The ISP at Yorktown Education places a strong emphasis on academics, solidifying students’ English speaking and writing skills, preparing students for college, exposure to the American culture, and providing every student with a gifted education. We are looking for international students with strong English proficiency skills who want to integrate into the culture and the way of living of their host family.
Students have the option to live with a host family or arrange to stay with an adult (college age or above) who is a relative or friend of the family, or an American guardian secured by the family. This person must function as the student’s guardian while he or she attends Yorktown.
APPLICATION PROCESS FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENT
Yorktown Education has the authorization to issue a Certificate of Eligibility Form (I-20) so students may obtain an F-1 visa. We currently accept international students who are 14-18 years old.
Step One – Complete Admissions Application Applications can be submitted online or downloaded and sent directly to the Yorktown Education Admissions office in person or via email.
The Application deadline for the 2019 – 2020 school year is May 1, 2019.
Step Two – Submit Records Release Form to Current School Download Records Release Form
Step Three – Submit Teacher Evaluation Forms to Current Teachers Evaluation forms from current English and Math teachers are required. The forms must be submitted in English to Yorktown Education by March 31, 2019.
Step Four – Complete ISEE Entrance Testing and English Proficiency Exam
Non-native English speaking students must also complete one English proficiency exam.
- TOEFL – Test of English as a Foreign Language (Score of 55 or higher is required for admission)
- IELTS – International English Language Testing System (Score of 5 or higher is required for admission)
Step Five – Student Questionnaire & Essay – Download the student essay.
Step Six – Complete Admissions Interview
International students may conduct a Skype interview. You may schedule your interview by emailing email@example.com.
Step Seven – Admissions Decisions
Decision letters sent via email will be sent by June 1, 2019 or sooner.
Contracts are due back no later than June 1, 2019. Due to international guidelines, international students must pay contracts in full. The base tuition fee of $19,000 applies to each international student.
Step Eight – Obtain a Visa
Once your student is accepted to Yorktown, we will apply for an I-20. Once we issue it, that I20 should be taken to your consulate or embassy so that your visa can be issued. After an international student is issued an I-20, the student must pay a $350.00 SEVIS I-901 fee. The SEVIS fee can be paid online with a credit card. For payment, log onto fmjfee.com. After the fee is paid, a receipt will be generated.
When you go to your visa interview, you will need your:
- Passport (valid at least 6 months in to the future)
- Signed I-20
- Acceptance letter from Yorktown Education
- Evidence of financial support
- Visa application forms and fees
- SEVIS fee receipt
- Proof of American Health Insurance
- A current health physical written in English.
- Uniforms are required for all students. Yorktown will obtain your size and will then provide 5 Yorktown Education monogrammed polo shirts as well as 5 pair of blue or khaki pants.
- International Student Orientation, which includes but is not limited to (share study, assistance utilizing our online systems, work comprehension, time organization, note taking, construct an academic goal plan with milestones).
- Once a month progress meeting (social, emotional, academic).
- Once accepted to Yorktown Education, we will connect you with a current student so that you can develop a friendship via email. Once you arrive, you will already know someone at Yorktown!
Yorktown Education does not discriminate in the administration of its admission and education policies on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin.